Monday, May 6, 2013

In Being Protected

My older brother, Jason, had his birthday last month. As usual with celebrations he declined to give me any hint of what he wanted for a gift, so I was left pondering on what I could possibly come up with. While I had a few little things in mind, no idea got my attention better than giving him something I know he would treasure forever - simple words.

There are few men I know that I consider to be extraordinary. My older brother, Jason, is one of them. He's one of a kind. He is a man who sometimes uses few words and other times preaches his heart out. I can't help but be reminded of countless times he has either been there with me or for me. If I had one word to describe how I feel about him (and there's not just one) it would be 'honored.' I am simply honored.

My older brother and I are three years apart. We grew up the first seven years of my life just the two of us. We were pals. Best pals. Still are! Whether it was discovering new artists like DC Talk (in the great retro style of cassette tapes), playing superheroes, or coming up with ways to prank our baby brother, we were doing it together. There are too many memories to fit into one blog, but a couple that distinguish his character and love stand out.

The first memory is when our family lived in a town called Levelland, Texas. Like I said, we did everything together - this included watching countless movies. I'll never forget the Disney movie, Newsies, coming on TV for the first time. We were enthralled with it. It was instantly one of our favorites. As with the Disney channel, we knew they would be repeating the movie again so we begged dad to record it on VHS (yes, good ol' days of video home system). Once we had watched the movie several times (to the point we "wore out" the VHS) we plotted on how we could bring the world of Newsies to our own home. Then we did what any nine and twelve year old kids would do: we set up his boom box next to the TV speakers and recorded the movie to an audio tape. Then we took the next ordinary step and set the newly recorded audio tape in the backyard and divided the character roles between the two of us and proceeded to act out the entire movie. And we danced. Yes, we danced our hearts out. From The World Will Know to King of New York to Jason's solo dance performance to Santa Fe we filled the backyard with our BGVs and smooth moves. It was a one-in-a-lifetime film never to be seen again. One night only! Still, to this day if we hear one line from those songs we can belt out the rest of it to perfection.

Another memory that always comes to mind is when our family went through a most scary and difficult time.

My father was pastoring a church in Ralls, Texas  - a small town half an hour east of Lubbock. Dad was working with the associate pastor on repairs to the church property when they stopped to go pick up some more supplies - supplies which included a ladder. The associate pastor and dad got everything they needed in the back of a white pick-up truck and headed back to the church. On the way back my dad sat in the back of the pick-up truck to hold the ladder from falling out. Sitting on the edge, and holding the ladder, they came up to a dirt road with trees lining the road and their branches hanging low. Dad attempted to tell the other pastor to swerve out of the way, but he didn't hear. The result of this sent both the ladder and my dad flying off the truck and onto the dirt road. My dad hit head first and was instantly knocked out. The rest of the day was followed by my family being rushed to a Lubbock hospital to meet my dad in the emergency room. I remember sitting in the waiting room with my brother, being comforted by his words. Then we went in to see him and as we approached the dark room my fear grew. It's funny how environments seem bigger when we are little. When I think about the room I remember it being big, dark, and cold. I cried as I watched my father suffer with a horrible concussion. The medication he was given also made him feel worse and disconcerted.  The timing of all this came right before Jason went to camp in Oklahoma. My mother didn't want the highlight of my brother's summer to go unfulfilled  so she decided to stop on the way at our doctor-friend's house for a few days before we dropped Jason off. The next few days were filled with uncertainty and much fear. Our father had to work through his head trauma and the days in between proved he was not himself. To no fault of his own - he was a different person with a different demeanor.  He was harsher, angrier, and confused. The medication he was on didn't help matters - in fact, it had been part of the problem. During those days staying at our friend's house we saw a different person in our father, and for us kids that was scary. Our father was normally happy all the time, cheerful, friendly, and calm. But during the time he was overcoming all the physical and mental trauma of his accident he was not his usual self. We had to stick close together.

My brother was my protector. I remember multiple times of him holding me, calming me, taking my hand or holding my back to escort me to safety. He was shelter during a hard storm. He was always talking me through it. His words were always comforting. I didn't fully understand what was going on - and he probably didn't either - but he understood more. I will never forget his presence. My dad did overcome his amnesia - and he returned to his normal self. Looking back I realize just how much Jason was the rock in our family. He was the one to make sure everything was safe, secure, and normal.

Growing up, we had so much fun - from walking to the local gas station for candy to playing with neighborhood friends to taking turns sleeping on the top bunk bed and to putting his license to good use when we were teenagers - we always found ways to entertain ourselves. When he got his car we would drive around town with a coke in hand and share out life goals and laugh at the oddest things. As pastor's kids we even had our share of time being the church janitors. You wouldn't believe the goofy stories we made up while straightening chairs in the sanctuary or scrubbing the bathroom toilets!

Now that we are adults I still see my brother like I used to - but I also see him in a new and different way. He has always been there for me and always will be - I've seen some of those life goals come to fruition. I've watched him get married and have children and be one amazing man who continually supports the people he loves. He is one-of-a-kind. He has a heart the size of Texas. I have never known someone who displays a love so genuine like him. Throughout my entire life he has been there for me and proven his love by his actions.

To this day he has not stopped being protective over me. If I'm in pain he wants to know. If I am tempted to worry or doubt he will be the first person to get on the phone and make sure I remember who I am in Christ. Give him a moment and he'll preach his heart out. Give him and ear and he'll tell you his heart. Give him a chance and he'll blow your mind. He is equally gifted as he is teachable. I don't know many people who have the stamina and strength that he holds within himself.

His walk with the Lord is what keeps him stable. The foundation of his life is within Christ. I've seen a lot of people talk about servant-hood - but Jason is the epitome of servant-hood  He lives out Mark 9:35. He is selfless. He is kind. He is genuine. He is strong. He is compassionate. He is tough. He is fearless. He is everything and so much more. He is a man after God's heart - He is a David. I'm so proud to call him my brother - my friend and confidant.

No comments:

Post a Comment