As I journey through 12 books this year I heard about one written by Lysa Terkeurst called Made to Crave. This last month I have not read as fast as I usually do because I want to take this book one chapter at a time; savoring each word and thought that comes to my mind.
I am a very systematic person and I love to let the "A-Type" personality of mine creatively flow with no restrictions. This, however, can cause some pain and pressure that should not fight with me. Yet, I allow it to do so with much enthusiasm. The pressure of making sure everything is perfect and smooth in my life can be overwhelming. I find myself being immersed in a pool of heartache and disappointment. Add guilt to the mix and you have a very unstable person. The inability to make things perfect is something I still have trouble couping with in my life. I wish I could say different, but so often I find myself tired and weary and yet I cry out to God, asking Him what is wrong with me. If only I would come to grips with my faults and realize that if I would only seek Him first - in everything - I would see all the things I have trouble with, and all those areas that are good in my life, become great and meaningful to Him and myself. It is a tough pill to swallow, but one that I know will make it all better.
Through the book, Made to Crave, I have come across some important lessons, one of which has already had a great impact on me. In her fifth chapter Lysa talked about being "Made for More." I can go through all the times I've heard people say things like, "We were made for victory," "You were made for more, Amy!" Lysa puts this in a way I have yet to find. In Ephesians 1:17-19 it says:
"I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better. I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe."
Through this scripture I have learned that I need to continually ask God to be with me on this journey towards being the woman He desires that I become as well as the journey to fix what is broken; something I cannot do without Him. Indeed, no matter how much I try to do it on my own I will fail. This is probably one of my biggest downfalls.
In this journey I must become something that I do not want to be - or share to others: I must become vulnerable. Even the word makes me cringe. But, in order to be open for Christ to work in and through me I must do whatever it takes.
Paul is saying more to me through this scripture: I do this to myself - I identify myself as so many things yet none of them are what God identifies me to be. Lysa gave a list of scriptures and declarations that opened my eyes to the reality of my true identity. I substituted my name (which she suggested to do) and what I identify myself as being to what God says I am:
Amy, the forgiven child of God. (Romans 3:24)
Amy, the set-free child of God. (Romans 8:1-2)
Amy, the accepted child of God. (1 Corinthians 1:2)
Amy, the holy child of God. (1 Corinthians 1:30)
Amy, the made-new child of God. (2 Corinthians 5:17)
Amy, the loved child of God. (Ephesians 1:4)
Amy, the close child of God. (Ephesians 2:13)
Amy, the confident child of God. (Ephesians 3:12)
Amy, the victorious child of God. (Romans 8:37)
As Lysa says it, "I was made to be set free, holy, new loved, and confident. Because of this, I can't allow myself to partake in anything that negates my true identity."
Why go through this process of understanding my true identity and allowing God to take over my life instead of me? So that I may know Him better. How else will I be able to work in others lives if I do not have my own on track with His Word, goals, and ultimate purpose? After all, this is not about me. It is ALL about Him. Too many times I try to live my life on my own and by my own calculations. The further I read in Ephesians I see what comes after verse 19; "That power is like the working of his mighty strength, which he exerted in Christ when he raise him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms." I can choose to do this on my own...with my own power (which will fail every time), or I can come to know the truth in allowing God to work through me which gives me the same power as He did when He raised Christ from the dead. That is a lot of power!
Perserverence is key.
No comments:
Post a Comment