Saturday, February 13, 2010

My Unexpected Valentine

Yesterday I was on my way to meet my friends for dinner. Because of all the snow and bad weather some metro lines were not open. Quite frankly, I was happy about that since the line I needed to take goes over a frozen river. So instead, I took another metro line, and it so happened that everyone else in D.C. had to take it too. Once I got on the train I was thankful that more than one seat was available. I had quite of few stops to take so sitting down felt good. About two stops into my ride more people piled in the train and I quickly saw the many forces of people nudging and prodding their way through the crowds and to all the remaining seats. One person, however, was on her way past me when I noticed she had a hurt foot. She was carrying a walking cane and her foot was wrapped in bandages. For me, the choice was obvious...a "no-brainer." I offered her my seat and quickly made my way around and behind her. I then stood up and held on to the railing on the seat two people behind her. I love to bless people. God reminded me of how my maturing in Him is being a light in dark places. I was acting in His likeness and that made my day. What I didn't know was the blessing that was to follow. Just a minute after standing behind this lady she turned around and handed me a chocolate and said, "Happy Valentine's Day." Wow. So much love overflowed in my heart that it almost brought me to tears. After wishing her a Happy Valentine's day and taking the sweet treat I couldn't help but close my eyes and see Jesus come right back to me. Here I was blessing someone else but I received the bigger blessing.
At a time when my "singleness" is more than evident someone reminds me that I am not forgotten. I may not have a sweetheart to share my Valentine's day with, and I was not expecting anything this coming Sunday. In fact, I have been planning on spending it where I am most happy; at a coffee shop with my Bible and journal. But I did receive a Valentine...and from the most unexpected source at a most unexpected place of all. I received my valentine from someone who knows not just how to receive a blessing but to be a blessing as well. This lady may have thought she received a kind gesture from a stranger but in that moment she gave me the biggest blessing of all...she gave love from her heart. I pray Jesus sends her an all consuming love that overwhelms her this weekend and every day of life. I also pray that her healing comes more quickly than expected. Thank you, sweet lady, for being my precious valentine this holiday. It meant more than you will know. From my heart to yours...thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment