Sunday, March 14, 2010

I. Am. Alice.

I am not one to look at every movie and somehow believe there is a spiritual concept to every intangible thing in it, but there was something about the new version of Wonderland that really made my spirit rise up and scream, "I am a champion!" Warning to those who have not seen it...I don't give anything away that is not already implied, but you may want to see it first to understand what I'm going to say.
No, I did not sit through the movie thinking of all the spiritual implications that some Christians tend to do these days. In fact, I did not think about any spiritual or non-spiritual implications through the movie at any point! This movie is all about the unbelievable. It was, to say the least, an incredible portrait of a fantastical dream. I could not help but think it was something only I would dream up, but seeing it on a big screen in front of me made me realize I wasn't the only one who could dream such things. The movie, from start to finish, was filled with colorful details and imagery of exotic animals, talking flowers, and a crazy, Mad Hatter. If you knew me you would assume Johnny Depp stole my heart for this movie considering I have liked him in most of his movies lately. But nay, it was Alice's character that made me want to conquer my fears.

In fact, Alice made me realize a lot.

It was not but towards the end when I believe Christ taught me a lesson. Lately, I have dealt with some difficult areas of my life. Insecurity has all but taken over my entire being. It has a way of creeping up and attacking my mind and spirit. So after seeing the climax of the movie did I realize that I was different. I was a champion. I was Alice. Okay, I know some out there are saying, "CHEESSY!" You would have a point, but unless you are blind and 100% secure in all areas you would say the same thing if you were sitting in my position. We all have insecurities. Some just choose not to fight it. Alice could have chosen not to fight it. She did at one point.

The entire movie she fought it. When faced in front of a crowd she runs away. In the beginning she ran away from the people that made her insecure and in the end she ran away from people by allowing herself to be insecure. Two differences I saw: the first time she ran away the insecurity came from the pressure others forced. The second time she ran away the insecurity was forced by her. Sometimes life pushes insecurity on use (our culture for example). Other times we force insecurity by allowing it and nurturing it (listening to the devil's words and allowing them to go from our mind to our spirit and then by us saying those things out loud..."I'm ugly," "I'm not smart," etc...).

Throughout the movie they wondered if she was Alice the Champion...she insisted it wasn't. She wanted to believe a lie; a dream in her mind. Then as the day of battle draws nearer she struggles with the reality she isn't in a dream and that she is The Alice. I think we all struggle at some point in our own battles of God's will for our lives. We tend to think at times that God's will isn't what we think but something unachievable...or even "findable." What we don't realize is that just as the movie has a pre-conceived end (the tablet) so does Christ have a tablet for us...and their is only one who can slay the Jabbawocki.

What I found the most amazing and what made my heart almost leap out of my chest was when Alice ran away for the second time and went to the one who could answer her questions. Albeit, Christ is no blue Caterpillar (and yes, there was some spiritual thing to his dying as a Caterpillar and coming again as a butterfly analogy...but please, I'd like to keep Alice and Wonderland a movie and the Word...well, the Word.) but she went to the One who could give her what she needed to hear: Truth. Still, even knowing what she had to do, she wept. But then came courage.
Did courage ever come! Was she scared? Yes. But being scared and having fear are a little different from one another. Being scared seems more carnal than allowing fear to creep in; being scared makes you shake...fear enables you to fight at all.

With her armor on and sword in hand she had to remind herself of who she was and what made her believe she could do it. With one jab here and another across there she fought valiantly. I almost wanted to stand up and start swinging myself. You could see in her face how she went from being timid and shy to sure and confidant. Insecurity leaves us when we take a stand and fight. But it took her fighting to get the job done. It took climbing the steps to the top to reach the Jabbawocki's height. It takes us carrying the Sword of the Spirit to kill the thoughts, feelings, and demons that try to enslave us. She had to have ALL her armor on...not just one piece. She was tossed, thrown, and trampled on...but the armor kept her safe. She even had to climb on top of her enemy in order to destroy him. And in the final moments she had to speak power over him before she cut him off.Alice became her own version of mad. I want that kind of madness; the madness that brings me to humility and courageous bravery to defeat the enemy. This is how I will find God's will...His plan. Once she overcame her insecurities she came back to find a purpose for her life. I guess it goes to show when we are willing to get bloody and take a few battle wounds will we see how much He is worth it! Therefore, I. Am. Alice. Child of God. Daughter of the King.
Tim Burton and Disney go beyond marvelous...they are mad!

No comments:

Post a Comment