Living in a new city and hardly knowing anyone leaves a lot of room for loneliness and depression, especially when it is your special day. However, for my 27th birthday I was determined not to be alone or depressed. I intended to have a birthday I would remember forever. After looking back at this past weekend and week (including Monday, my actual birthday) I can joyfully say I am thankful for the people God has placed around me during this season of my life. I am truly blessed beyond what I deserve.
It all started with my plans for Friday. I scheduled a little event a couple of weeks ahead. I was going to see a play that I heard about from a lady I work with in the children's ministry at church. She was a main character in it and told us all it was a real treat. The play, Summer at Nohant (pronounced like "Noant"), was about Chopin and his last summer at the estate of Nohant and his sad departing from a nine year relationship. I love the theatre and after seeing many small plays I was more than eager to see this one. As I thought about it more I realized how much I did not want to experience this on my own. So I sent an email out to all the girls from my Esther Bible study from church. I love these girls so much yet I hardly know them. I love that they are like me: mid-to-late twenties, some new to D.C., trying to gain wonderful Christian friendships, jobs, apartments, and bigger incomes! Some of the girls emailed me just as enthusiastic as I was. Once I had a group together things fell into place for a great pre-birthday celebration. Once I got off work I happily made my way to get my haircut...I like to plan my haircuts around things like this; it makes me feel pampered. Then I met some of the girls before the play for some ice cream and after that we headed to the theatre. The play was amazing with an intimate setting, great story, and great actors. My friend, Jessie, who played the character Solange was fantastic! The night was a success.
Saturday. Once again I talked to some of the girls in my Bible study and attempted to do something Ihave never done before; I asked them to join me in celebrating my own birthday. I am the kind of person that does not want to tell people about my birthday, but when it comes and goes and no one says anything it can be depressing. Their fault? No. Mine? Yep. So this time I let go of insecurities and told myself to be open and be me. Besides, how are they supposed to know? A couple of girls wanted to come but in the end only one was able to make it. That was fine with me...it is nice to spend time gaining a new friend. So me and my new friend, Jennifer, planned for lunch in Georgetown. While I was getting ready to meet her a colleague from my undergrad called and said she was in town with the day off from her job. What a blessing! So we said we would meet up in Georgetown after I was finished with lunch. Me and my new friend, Jennifer, went around looking for a place to eat and found a place called Cafe Milano tucked away on a side street. As we approached we saw it was a 5 star resteraunt! After looking at the menu we made our decision to a definite "yes!" I had a ravioli with a veal stuffing and cream sauce. I expected it to be wonderful...it was absolutely divine! What I did not expect was that my friend treated me for my birthday. She also gave me the sweetest card with the most uplifting message. What a blessing! After we finished we joined my colleague, Jessica, who surprised me with a cupcake from Dean and Deluca. We enjoyed some shopping and looking around Georgetown and after Jennifer had to leave Jessica and I walked around some more and then took the metro back to where I live. We went into Cosi to get some dinner and took it back to my apartment to eat and talk for a while. The day ended with having ate and fellowshiped with two wonderful friends. Super sweet!Sunday. This day was planned without my help. The four friends I knew before I came to D.C. are from my grad school; my colleagues! Ian and his wife Melanie planned to take me out to eat to...where else? Georgetown! I love Georgetown so it made me happy. After I went to church and taught the children (go Explorers!) and then to service I came home and took a short nap. Then I hopped on the metro and met up with Ian and Melanie and we drove into Georgetown and down the streets. As we drove Ian kept reading the directions and at one point we started to head toward the same place I had been the day before; Cafe Milano. However, the car went right past it and to the place next door; Peacock Cafe. Our mutual friends and colleagues joined us and greeted me with flowers and a card. We ate a wonderful lunch and I had a scrumptious yet light turkey burger.
Monday. I woke up and fixed myself a wonderful omelet with cheese, green peppers, turkey bacon, turkey, cilantro, and tomato. It was delicious! Then I got ready and went to work. My supervisor gave me half a day so at lunch I left and went across the street to the Portrait Museum and ate the lunch I packed in their quiet and beautiful courtyard. It is my favorite place to have lunch.
The rest of this week has been filled with such blessings: Tuesday I had a package from my parents come which was filled with all kinds of goodies and spoil-me-like-crazy treats.
After all is said and done I know I do not need gifts or resteraunts to know that I am loved. Although I loved everything I received (whether it was a gift or people's company) I am satisfied knowing that I am treasured by my heavenly Father who does not wait for a birth-day to shower His love and grace on me. I am truly blessed and honored to have wonderful family and friends. I am even more blessed to call the King of Kings my biggest fan.
Hey, I found your blog by being a fellow insecure siesta LOL. I just wanted to know that I enjoyed reading your post, which led me to your blog. My 29th birthday is next week - totally get what you are saying here on being new places and all. So happy to see God blessed you! Anyway, just wanted to give you a little shout out so I can feel like I know some siesta's out there in the blogosphere :O)
ReplyDelete