Saturday, April 23, 2011

Few are Chosen


Many are called, but few are chosen...these were the words of Jesus when talking about those who will walk with Him in eternity; those who understand righteousness.

Lately, I've been thinking about God's purpose, His calling, and His will on my life and the lives of others. Recently, I have been a part of a Bible study. It is a small group with my church. I love meeting with my fellow women peers and studying God's written Word; the Guide and Book for my life. I especially love going when the teacher is Beth Moore.

A subject that has come up more than once has been in discussing the area of God's purpose and will for our lives. Listening to all the voices around me speak of confusion, heartache, and lack of understanding has brought out an emotion in me that I have found to be disturbing. It is an emotion that I did not expect. I listened to people talk of their confusion of how God can have a Will over our lives yet He gives us the decisions to make along the way. Some have talked of how they feel hopeless because in the end they feel God's Will will ultimately be done...so what is the point? Some spoke of being frustrated to know what the ultimate Call is on their lives. During all of this my emotions have rose higher and higher.

I have been angry.

Why, God? Why anger? During the last session of our study I sat there, as normal, not saying a word. I couldn't. I couldn't speak for fear of sounding stupid. I wanted to speak! I wanted to talk more about the subject...tell them what the Word says. But what does the Word say? That was my problem...and still is. In order to speak with confidence and for them to fully understand I need to know...fully know what God has to say about this area. To my credit, I do know some about this area, but it needs sharpening.

In the moments my anger rose I remembered the words of Carol Kent in her book, Six Steps to Clarify Your Calling, "What makes you pound your fist to the table?" She was trying to unravel all the gifts and talents out of her reader to start putting puzzle pieces together into potential areas God can use them.

What makes me pound my fist to the table? I heard those words over and over in my head. I realized this area of life and God's heart makes me move. It makes me get out of my seat and seek. But who am I, Lord? Who am I that you would speak to me to seek this subject and learn more? After all, I have a wonderful job and a great life going on for me. I could hear the statement floating up in my heart...dare I say, Father,....dare I say...my Spirit. But no, I can't say it. I can't put forth something that would change my life.

As I sit here, Matthew 22:14 comes to my mind, "For many are called, but few are chosen." Pulling up every resource I know of I seek to understand this verse. Vernon McGee discussed it, calling it the greatest parable for our day and age. When Christ says (22:14) "For many are called, but few are chosen" He is saying you have to have the wedding garment - a garment of righteousness. The call is for everyone but you have to come on His terms.

He continues to say there's a danger in coming to the feast without meeting the demands of the King. The wedding garment is the righteousness of Christ which is absolutely essential for salvation and it's supplied for all who believe (Romans 3:21-22). Even the righteousness from God, which is by faith in Jesus Christ, comes to all who believe.

Ray Stedman points out that while there truly are hypocrite's in church, God is highlighting in this scripture is the initial entrance into the relationship of fellowship with the Son of God. That must be based solely upon on the gift of His righteousness, the gift of justification by faith. If we don't have that then there's no possibility of any development in the Christian life beyond that. He is saying we are dealing with God who sees our heart and minds and knows everything about us. We are dealing with that which can be easily used as a mask and disguise of Christianity. All of us can eat at the table of the Lord. We can all partake. But God is watching the heart and if it has really accepted the gift of life and genuinely entered into a sense of understanding of the joy and gladness it is to know Jesus Christ.

Essentially, what these two men are talking about is how we treat our relationship with Christ. It goes beyond understanding and simply being in a place of duty. It is about our relationship with Christ and the attitude of our hearts.

The word "chosen" comes from the Hebrew translation "eklektos" meaning: picked out, chosen, to obtain salvation through Christ. Elect of God. The Best of its kind or class, applied to certain individual Christians. Strong's describes it as signifying those chosen out, selected. Further research includes "chosen" to say Christians are called and chosen, the elect of God. Those out there who have decided (chosen) to accept salvation are opposite of those who have been invited but not "shown themselves fitted," or displayed it throughout their lives.

In laymens terms: it is about our relationship with Christ and how we live our lives on this earth. We have salvation through the blood of Christ Jesus because He paid the ultimate price for us. In accepting this we have faith...now our faith must be displayed in how we live our lives.

When I sat in my last Bible study session, hearing the words Carol Kent wrote in my mind and listening to that still, small voice in my spirit I realized that in order to be one of the chosen I must act. I must move. As Pastor Willie George said, "God doesn't tell everybody what He called you to do. Don't be bummed if we don't see it. Bear the fruit & we'll see that you're called!"

No comments:

Post a Comment