Monday, September 5, 2011

Grace Through Adversity

She said I walk through adversity with grace. Each word hit my heart with great love and humility. How could I ever be good enough for such a comment? My head bowed as tears came to my eyes; slipping through my fingers. Adversity with grace. Such a statement and yet I could not see how they belonged to me.


I picture grace belonging to those who are much more humble than myself; much more unique and quiet. Why I would be deserving of a word that resembles beauty, comeliness, favor, and mercy is beyond my comprehension. Yet, the woman who knows me inside-out stamped it on my character forever. A comment like that warrants daily practice, and practice it I shall.

While I am blessed to have a mother who would bestow such a comment on me, and it did come at a time when adversity attempted to push me deep into the water tide, I had to step back and truly think of what grace through adversity really meant to me and what it means to everyone who wishes to walk with Christ.

Adversity attacks usually when we are least expecting it; from behind us. We find ourselves financially stuck, socially cast down, mentally unstable, physically weak, spiritually unprepared, or lacking in confidence or in some other area of our lives. At times, adversity seems to come in waves. We are doing well and blessed for a while and then it appears if suddenly a wave of adversity crashes on us; drowning and taking all the breath we have left in us. Then it demands to stay in our lives for a while, marking us with shame and guilt. "What will others think?" "What am I going to do?" "Where will I go from here?" Questions continue to flood our minds and thoughts. It is usually at the point of contact when adversity wins. It is when the moment of calm enters, after the storm, when decisions have to be made and choices determine if adversity wins the war. It is in this moment that the first phase of grace can take over each and every believer...if they will allow Christ to extend it to them.

Understand: grace directly means unmerited favor; meaning we receive grace from God whether or not we deserve it. 2 Thessalonians 2 says Christ, because He loves us so much, grants us "special favor" and "lasting comfort and good hope", giving us strength in every good thing we say and do (2 Thess 2:16-17). Christ loves us so much He extends us grace through adversity, and then He goes above and beyond by giving us strength to handle it all. Grace is ours for the taking yet we hold back. There is something of our flesh (yes, even when adversity comes) that demands we hold back from accepting His grace. That something is guilt.

Usually when adversity strikes there is a scrambling of sorts. We go to the nearest computer to check our bank accounts, go through the "if I had only's" "I could have been better at _____", stand in front of the mirrors or scales regretting the 2nd bowl of ice cream and then attempt a second run, wishing we had only a few more moments with the one we loved, or let our minds go crazy with regret. All of this is Satan's way of telling us we are unworthy, undeserving, and useless, so just let the mess come and take over.

Paul knew he wasn't deserving. He spent so much of his life doing the wrong things that when Christ entered his life he understood that grace, if given to anyone, should not be given to him (1 Tim. 1:12-17). Paul, however, also understood what it meant to overcome shame. He understood it enough to pull himself up after falling, accept his past, understand his present, and be confident and fearless of his future.

This is where grace takes on a second phase. Grace is now on our side; inside you and I. Once grace is accepted we are able to use it THROUGH adversity. Another definition of grace is "the influence or spirit of God operating in humans."(1)God desires us to be strong with the grace He gives us (2 Tim. 2:1). Walking through the hard times with grace brings growth to our lives and, in turn, we are better believers, better followers and examples of Christ, and stronger.

It makes more sense, now, when James said, "Dear brothers and sisters, whenever trouble comes your way, let it be an opportunity for joy. for when your faith is tested, your endurance has a chance to grow. So let it grow, for when your endurance is fully developed, you will be strong in character and ready for anything." (James 1:2-4)

Live through it. Walk through it. Speak through it. Just whatever you do, go through it.

(1)http://www.definitions.net/definition/grace

No comments:

Post a Comment