Monday, October 3, 2011

A Brick Wall And A Net

"When you're led to a brick wall & there's nowhere to go, you're about to see God do something amazing! Ask Moses!"
This is what Pastor Willie George tweeted two days before my plans shifted dramatically. I couldn't help but think that while I hadn't yet hit a brick wall, the time when I might could come very soon. Hearing this pleased my heart so much I was ready to jump out of my seat and scream, "Hallelujah!" For me, hitting the brick wall would mean that I would be at a standstill; a place where nothing is moving or happening. It would mean I've hit a place of doubt, worry, and anxiety. As I thought about it more I realized it could also be a place where I've done everything I know to do. What happens then?

I stand. I stand firm on the Solid Rock.

Ephesians 6:13 says to put on ALL the armor of God so I can resist the enemy. After the battle I will stand firm. So I must do what I can and know to do and let God work the rest out. What can I do? I can work hard at finding the next step; the next chapter. I can be consistent, determined, and work hard. I know I can do those things. I have control on those things. I can also pray. This, I know to do. After that, I can trust and be confident that even when I sleep He is working on my behalf.

Thank you, Father! Thank you that you take care of my every need. You see when I am down, when I wake in the morning, and yes, when I sleep. You take care of me no matter what! I've seen your hand at work before...you won't leave or forsake me. I'm your daughter. I will stand. All other ground is sinking sand, and I won't be caught in it!

I'm reminded of a song I consider to be my second most favorite song in the world. My favorite is The Revelation Song (sung by Kari Jobe and Gateway Church). My second is Natalie Grant's, In Christ Alone. Here are the words:

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm

What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless Babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save

?Til on that cross as Jesus died
The wrath of God was satisfied
For every sin on Him was laid
Here in the death of Christ I live, I live

There in the ground His body lay
Light of the world by darkness slain
Then bursting forth in glorious Day
Up from the grave He rose again

And as He stands in victory
Sin?s curse has lost its grip on me
For I am His and He is mine
Bought with the precious blood of Christ

No guilt in life, no fear in death
This is the power of Christ in me
From a life?s first cry to final breath
Jesus commands my destiny

No power of hell, no scheme of man
Could ever pluck me from His hand
'Til He returns or calls me home
Here in the power of Christ I stand

I will stand, I will stand
All other ground is sinking sand
All other ground, all other ground
Is sinking sand, is sinking sand
So I stand


This past weekend I went to a Beth Moore conference in Baltimore, Maryland. I had been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks. I couldn't wait. Funny, I left for it the day my plans shifted. Also funny, the people I invited told me a week before they couldn't go. By the time of the event I realized how amazing the conference would be with me going by myself. My sadness in that my friends couldn't attend turned into eager anticipation to be alone with God and the Spirit. The first night was filled with many tears and overflow of thankfulness. We sang, In Christ Alone, and the more I sang, the louder I sang, I couldn't help but sense the presence of God. It was a beautiful time between me and my Savior. My heart overwhelmed with love for my Heavenly Father. I didn't think about anything else. I'll never forget our time there.

Beth talked about Psalms 25:15, "My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for he will pluck my feet out of the net." The net can hinder us from receiving, moving forward, and being used of God. What is the net? Whatever it is we allow to stop us from having an intimate relationship with Christ. She specifically talked about guilt and shame. She said guilt is when you know it and shame is when you wear it. Wow! This was one of the biggest statements I took away from the conference. This weekend I believe I took steps to get out of the net!The only reason I can't say I am fully out of the net is because I feel there is more for me to do. Just like a student has homework after a big class and before a test, I believe I have homework to do; I can't expect all my shame to leave in one setting. I must follow through and continue having those quiet times with Christ. But, I do believe I made a huge step out of the net! I don't have to live with my shame anymore; no more sin, no more shame. I'm not who I was, even from a week ago! That is the beauty of Christ. He doesn't have qualifications for when you are able to say you a new person. It is instant. It is in that moment you allow Him to take over and give you full forgiveness, love, grace, and mercy. I'm free in Christ!

Now I am fully confident that He who began a good work in me will complete it. By walking confidently in Christ, I am out of the net and ready for the brick wall - it only means good things are about to happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment