Friday, November 11, 2011

Wishing for a Neon Sign

The last few weeks have been eventful, to say the least. It seems like this roller coaster I'm on is filled with emotions and uncertainties. Add a few good days, bad days, and days you need (and want) to skip altogether. On many occasions I have wanted to get off and go on a ride more stable and familiar. A part of me says to simply close my eyes and trust that God knows what's coming around the bend and will definitely be beside me through it all. Another part of me wants so much to figure it all out right now and on my own. Life seems easier that way, but I know better. It really isn't easier; just more organized in my head.

Trusting and having real faith in Jesus Christ boils down to one thing: I can either trust Him or not. I was reminded earlier today about how my faith takes the first step, and it has everything to do with posture. If my posture is not correct my faith will be null and void. The posture of my faith will determine the end to my problem.

As I heard it today, while listening to a great message on healing, Abraham is the father of faith. Faith is not talked about, along with a person in the Bible, as much as it is with Abraham. In Genesis 17 God speaks to Abraham and tells him he will be a father to a son. He phrases it in such a way that indicates it is not something that will happen in the future - it is something already done. In the same way, when we pray over an area of our lives - whether it be for healing, a friend, a financial situation, a job or any other problem - we are not to speak as if we are hoping the answer comes to us. No, we are to position ourselves in such a way that says we have already obtained it. We may not have the manifestation in front of us, but because we our Abraham's descendants and children of the Most High God we already have what we ask! This is what Mark meant when he wrote Jesus' words:

“Truly I tell you, if anyone says to this mountain, ‘Go, throw yourself into the sea,’ and does not doubt in their heart but believes that what they say will happen, it will be done for them. Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours." - Mark 11:23-24

He said, "received." Believe you have received it. It is that simple yet I, in my humanly body, make it so complicated; I do so to the extent of taking matters into my own hands. My attempts to handle my own life goes nowhere - if I would only realize it was never mine to handle in the first place.

So I should start realizing that trusting God is more than just trust itself; it is faith - a strong faith. Faith that I can call those things that are not as though they were. This, I believe, is better than wishing for some neon sign.

Romans 4:17

As it is written: “I have made you a father of many nations.” He is our father in the sight of God, in whom he believed—the God who gives life to the dead and calls into being things that were not."

No comments:

Post a Comment