Saturday, November 19, 2011

Well...hello.

It is Saturday and I am so grateful for the opportunity to sleep in for part of the morning. The last couple of weeks have proven to be exhausting. Still, I am determined to do my part and let God do the rest...including showing me the answer and how to acquire it.

I don't have any words of wisdom or scriptures to heighten the depth of this post...just me and my random thoughts. Talking nonsense is something I occasionally do. Some people call it crazy or "talking to yourself." I prefer to define it as "sorting my thoughts out loud." Maybe it seems silly, but who cares?  Besides, lately I been hearing pastors talk about how we should speak God's Word over and to ourselves...including generally encouraging ourselves. So, my argument is made.

Yesterday, as I came home from work, I noticed all the leaves were off the trees and covering the streets like a big orange and red blanket. Some of the trees, just a week ago, had the brightest shade of red; it was gorgeous. I found myself purposefully passing by them once or twice as I would drive through the neighborhood. Who can pass up a view like that! The luscious trees only made me love fall all the more. I love the chill in the air, the feel of a comfy coat, a hot cup of tea, and walks in the park.

A while back I took a walk around the park by my house. To walk through the pathways you would not believe you are a mere five miles away from the nation's capital. In fact, you would not believe you were near any traffic or homes; the place is surrounded by trees, paths, and peaceful moments that only nature brings. I like to take walks through those wooded areas with my music and sometimes my journal.

In fact, I have found I am the most content when I am outside. Take me to do something outside, like hiking, biking, picnicking, or any other activity that brings me closer to nature and I will give you a happy girl with the biggest smile. Just recently I was talking to a sweet friend, over coffee, of course, about first dates and what seems romantic yet fun to do. Her choice was a dinner and movie (typical, but fun!)...mine was everything to do with being outside. When I told her hiking would get the guy major points her face gave me a look of complete dislike. I just laughed. Different personalities. Different people.

That same friend went with me that day to go apple picking. That was a fun day. We decided to find a pick-your-own-apples orchard via the Internet. We did. We drove. We drove almost two hours to find the place. It ended up being in a little town called Purcellville, Virginia. It was the kind of small town that you would see in a movie. It reminded me of my childhood; living in Post and Ralls, Texas. It was the kind of town where you just knew everyone knows each other and almost everyone goes to the same church. It was perfect. Both my friend and I fell in love with Purcellville within five minutes of driving through the place. We ended up getting lost twice. We didn't care. After getting lost we finally found the apple orchard. By the time we got there it was close to the orchard's closing time - we only had 30 minutes. It did not matter if we had five minutes, we were going to pick some apples! The owner of the orchard was kind enough to let us go through and pick some apples even though he said, "The sun's almost setting and we are almost closing!" Between the driving, getting lost, and picking apples my friend and I had developed (or should I say reconnected with) the accent of our roots. We had started talking with southern country accents on the way to the orchard and decided, by the time we were picking apples, to keep them. We even made names for each other. I was Louise and she was Ethel. All I can say is it provided for some entertainment for the both of us as well as a few good memories.

After picking apples we decided to stay in Purcellville to find a place to eat. Once again, we drove, got lost and sidetracked, but finally found a great place called Magnolias. It was off a side street that look like it lead to nowhere. Once inside we knew we had just found a treasure. The place was packed. I'm sure half the town was there to eat. The inside looked like the inside of a cabin in the woods. We ended up eating at the bar due to the large number of people there. Again, we didn't care. After a wonderful dinner (I had the burger and she had the chicken salad that apparently had fries in it - odd, but good) we remember there was a coffee shop we had stopped at to ask for directions during one of the times we got lost. After dinner we headed back to have our cup of coffee and talk before heading back home.

For me, talking over cups of coffee with the dearest friends are the best way to start or end a day. It doesn't matter the conversations, how silly or impractical our theories can be, or how much we may differ or have in common with one another - communication brings friends closer together, and I love it. I love my friends and family. For me, cups of coffee are one of the best ways to communicate and love.

No comments:

Post a Comment